Our Pearl. She is curious and imaginative and very observant. She loves cars (her chosen party theme) and dinosaurs. She loves playing with her cars and has elaborate worlds built up around her car family (as she calls them). She’s very relational in her play and everything is always sorted into families. Pearl loves looking at books, being read to, and listening to audio books. And yes, she also loves Paw Patrol and Saturday mornings when she gets to watch cartoons.
Pearl has grown up so much this year. She has done swimming and gymnastics classes without parent participation. She goes to Sunday school without a fuss. She has just started learning to write her letters and is getting comfortable with numbers. It’s been exciting to watch her grow and develop.
Pearl is full of questions about the world around her. We answer a lot of “why” questions and are constantly reminded of how much she observes. She notices and remembers so much. It has been so fun watching her imagination grow. She frequently pretends to go on trips – Whistler, Vancouver, and Hong Kong are favourite destinations. She continues to be fairly introverted, benefitting from plenty of down time in our schedule and chances to play by herself with her bedroom door closed.
At the same time, I’ve been so pleased watching her learn to interact with other kids. It’s still a definite learning process but she is becoming a better friend all the time and is learning to play games and share with her friends.
Pearl is also a fantastic big sister. She and Rose really love each other and love to play together. While that play still frequently devolves into tears and hair-pulling (Rose is the culprit there!), they are truly delighted to be together and Pearl often wants to include Rose in her play. I so love watching them love each other.
It has been four wonderful years of Pearl. We are so thankful for this little girl. It’s a privilege to watch her grow and I can’t wait to see what four contains for her!
As we did last year, we asked Pearl 20 questions and I think they give a great flavour of who our girl is:
- What is your favourite thing to eat for breakfast? Butter toast
- What is your favourite animal? Diplodocus (told you she liked dinosaurs!)
- What is your favourite toy? Red Stripe car (the car on top of her birthday cake)
- Who is your best friend? Ellie
- What is your favourite holiday? Halloween
- What is your favourite drink? ice milk (Pearl loves milk with ice cubes in it. I know it’s weird.)
- What is your favourite book? Bible. (I swear I did not coach her on this! We read a chapter of the Jesus Story-Book Bible every night though and she does really enjoy it.)
- What is your favourite thing to do outside? Ride my airplane. (AKA her plasma car.)
- What is your favourite thing to eat for lunch? ham sandwich
- What do you want to be when you grow up? Find dinosaur bones!
- What is your favourite plant or flower? Roses
- What do you want to eat for dessert on your birthday? Cake
- What is your favourite colour? Purple and blue
- What is your favourite song? “Ring Around the Posie”
- What clothes do you like to wear? Dresses
- What is your favourite thing to eat for dinner? hot dogs
- What is your favourite place to visit? my cousins’ house
- What is your favourite fruit? Pomegranate! A Christmas fruit!
- What is your favourite weather? Cloudy blue